Here are a few crazy facts about Ireland:
- The Republic of Ireland (where we live); is it’s own COUNTRY! Seriously, everyone seems to think we are part of the UK. FYI, to visit London, Rob would need a visa!
- OK, let’s get another elephant in the room out of the way… Ireland is the only EU country where abortion is still illegal. It blows my mind. But more on that subject in another post.
- There are 26 counties in the Republic of Ireland; and 6 counties in Northern Ireland.
- The capital of Ireland is Dublin (but don’t tell anyone from Cork that!)
- There are a little under 4.8million people in Ireland (compared to 55 million in South Africa)
- Phoenix Park is bigger than all the parks in London put together and twice the size of Central Park in New York.
- Halloween is IRISH! It dates back to a Celtic harvest festival.
- Ireland is crazy small. It would take 8 hours to drive from the top of Ireland (Malin Head, county Donegal) to the bottom (Mizen Head, county Cork)
- South Africa is 17 times bigger than Ireland! Literally, Ireland is smaller than KwaZulu Natal – can you even imagine?!
- There are no snakes in Ireland!
What random crazy fact do you know about the country you live in?
~ Meg ~